Deadline to Apply: Oct 18
Whether you are setting the intention to share yoga as a teacher or to build a strong foundation for your self-practice, Choose Joy’s Yoga & Wholistic Arts 200-hour Teacher Training Program will leave you feeling activated, inspired and ready to share the gift of yoga in your own way!
We believe that yoga is the embodiment of union with yourself and with All living beings. In honor of this, we have structured our 200-hour program with three core values in mind.
- Connection – Intentionally gather with like-minded community over the span of 8 months as we explore practices that will awaken and nurture your whole self – body, mind and spirit.
- Integration – We recognize the amount of information you will be taking in each weekend intensive, so we have chosen to meet once a month to allow for enough integration time.
- Collaboration – There is strength in numbers, power in perspective, and value in learning from multiple teachers. Our team features 11 passionate, knowledgeable and experienced teachers.
What to Expect
Our curriculum offers a colorful palate of modules specializing in yoga while exposing you to an abundance of wholistic practices that will enhance your yoga practice and teachings. Our Weekend Intensives meet for a total of 180 contact hours. Your remaining 20 non-contact hours will be earned from an accumulation of hours spent on homework, online quizzes, practice teaching, book reports, apprenticing and working on your thesis project.
Weekend Intensive Topics & Teachers:
- Gain a solid foundation on how to teach intuitively and explore all aspects of yoga (postures, breathwork, meditation, etc.), connect with the koshas, the eightfold path, vibration, sound, and so much more with yoga teacher, vibrational sound therapist and reiki master, Cassandra Justine.
- Understand the physical body on a deeper level as you elevate your knowledge of anatomy with Chiropractor and Yoga Teacher, Catherine Heberling-Marentez.
- Become a Certified Reiki Practitioner as you complete a level one energy attunement + activation with reiki master teacher, Melissa Tigerlily.
- Study the evolution of yoga through ancient times until these present moments and delve into sacred texts and sanskrit with transformational coach and consciousness mentor and yoga teacher, Bhairavi Shera, M.S.Ed.
- Explore the relationship between Yoga and Ayurveda as you establish a connection to the elements with Ayurvedic Therapist and Panchakarma Technician, Monica Casanova.
- Relax into the teachings of restorative yoga and learn the basics of prenatal yoga with studio owner, yoga teacher and prenatal yoga teacher, Beth McClelland.
- Discuss all aspects of the food experience – exploring topics such as food as medicine and food relationship with holistic health practitioner and nutritionist, Carly Feldmeier.
- Dabble into the art of aromatherapy with yoga teacher, massage therapist and essential oil enthusiast, Anna Ross.
- Tap into the wisdom of Thai Bodywork techniques with massage therapist and yoga teacher, Ally Thompson.
- Step into the teachings of the planets and the strategy of your aura with Yoga Teacher, Craniosacral Therapist and Reiki Practitioner Abbey Road.
- Immerse yourself in the teachings of Yin Yoga with yoga teacher and continuing education provider, Melissa Christensen.
Non-Contact Hour Overview:
Choose a yoga-related topic you are passionate about and create a presentation to be shared at our last weekend intensive on Friday, May 15th. The intention of this project is to help you find your niche and become highly educated in a specific area of interest. You will have the entire teacher training to work on your Thesis Project.
Observe a minimum of 5 classes with one or more teachers who you wish to study more deeply with. Apprenticeship(s) must be completed by Friday, May 15th.
Polish your teaching skills by guiding friends & family through a yoga class. You are required to teach 5 one-hour classes &/or private lessons (free or for donation) to friends/family, etc. This will help you find your own voice in the way you share yoga with others.
Journal your takeaways after reading You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay, Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss, and The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda. Finish reading and journaling by Friday, April 24th to prepare for a guided discussion that will take place that day.
Homework & Quizzes:
Take-home quizzes and homework will be given to support you in retaining the information you will learn during our weekend Intensives. Workload will be very light so as to provide you with optimal time to integrate information in your own way.
Our Team of Teachers: Cassandra Justine, Catherine Heberling-Marentez, Melissa Christensen, Beth McClelland, Ally Thompson, Melissa Tigerlily, Carly Feldmeier, Bhairavi Shera, Abbey Road, Monica Casanova and Anna Ross
Where: 565 Cameron Way #103 North Liberty, IA 52317
Weekend Intensive Dates:
November 1-3: Laying the Foundation
November 8-10 : Yin & Restorative Yoga
December 6-8 : The Physical Body
January 10-12 : The Energy Body
February 28-March 1 : Flow, Flight & Heart
March 27-29 : Twists, Hips, Binds & Ayurveda
April 24-26 : Intuitive Teaching & Dream Mapping
May 15-17 : Sound School & The Business of Yoga
Sample Schedule of a Weekend Intensive:
Fridays, 2:00 – 9:00pm
2:00-2:30pm: Opening Circle
2:30-4:00pm: Opening Practice
>>> 5:30-6:30pm: Dinner
***weekly class occupying studio from 5:30-7:30pm, training in foyer 6:30-8:00pm
8:00-9:00pm: Closing Practice
Saturdays, 11:00am – 8:30pm
11:00-12:30pm: Opening Practice
>>> 2:00-3:00pm: Lunch
8:00-8:30pm: Closing Practice
Sundays, 6:00am – 3:00pm
6:00-7:30am: Opening Practice
***weekly class occupying studio from 7:30-9:30am, training in foyer 7:30-9:30am
>>> 10:30-11:30am: Lunch
2:30-3:00pm: Closing Circle
In order to uphold the quality of our program, we accept a maximum of 20 applicants. This allows us to give participants the attention and care they need to thrive.
Tuition: $3250 which INCLUDES your Yoga & Wholistic Arts 200-hour Teacher Training experience, all manuals, all Weekend Intensives, Level I Reiki Attunement, 15-hour Yin Yoga certification, mentorship to map your dreams into reality, FREE UNLIMITED YOGA at Heat Yoga Studios spanning from 10/18/19-05/17/20 and your $500 non-refundable deposit.
Deposit: $500 non-refundable deposit is required at the time of registration
We are offering an 8-month payment plan for a tuition rate of $3250.
- We allow a payment plan with an online credit card. *Credit/debit cards must be used online and not in house.
- 8-month Plan – Payments of $343.75 starting in October
- 7-month Plan – Payments of $392.86 starting in November
- Contact Beth at Beth@heatyogacr.com for payment plan options and details.
Required Reading: In addition to your included manuals, we request that you purchase the following books:
- Mudra: The Sacred Secret by Indu Arora
- Yoga Sutras of Patanjali by Swami Satchidananda
- The Language of Yoga by Nicolai Bachman
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss
- Bernie Clark’s book – The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga OR Sarah Powers book – Insight Yoga
Terms & Conditions
Get the most out of our Teacher Training.
- Arrive Early. Give yourself time to settle into the space. The space will be available starting at 1:45pm on Fridays, 10:45am on Saturdays, and 5:45am on Sundays. We will start training promptly at 2pm on Fridays, 11am on Saturdays, and 6am on Sundays.
- Sign-in at the front desk when you arrive for training. Attendance will be tracked through Heat Yoga’s database system.
- Enter Quietly. Greet community in the foyer. Please silence or turn off your cell phones. (If you need your cell phone close by for family reasons, etc. please inform your teacher.) Step into silence as you enter the studio. Set your space and take time to settle in – read, journal, meditate, stretch, rest, etc.
- Questions. If you have questions before getting started, please bring them to your teacher 10-15 minutes prior to the start of training.
- Meals: Bring dinner for Friday and lunch for Saturday and Sunday. Meals are 1-hour. We will resume training promptly at the end of the hour.
- What to Bring: A water bottle, a journal/notebook, a pen, an extra change of clothes and a shower towel if you’d like to shower and/or change after our opening practice.
Clear Mind Policy:
We want you to be you! We encourage you to arrive to weekend intensives with a clear mind by refraining from the use of any and all substances before sessions. We ask the following:
- Alcohol: We know it’s the weekend, but please keep alcohol intake light the night before teacher training sessions. We need you well rested!
- Caffeine/Sugar: Be mindful of your caffeine and sugar intake. No coffee jitters.
- Honor System: We honor your ability to honor your body. If we find that you have been using substances before or during a teacher training session, you will be confronted and may be asked to leave the teacher training session that day.
- Google Drive: You will be granted viewer’s access to a private Google Drive with important information about the teacher training including: weekend intensive itineraries, suggested articles, a copy of these terms & policies, a due date checklist, and an overview of the following: homework assignments, book reports, thesis project, practice teaching, and apprenticeships. Please do not share or attempt to steal this content. Thank you for honoring the work that went into creating this program.
- Manuals: Do not attempt to sell or steal content from your manuals. This content is private and copywritten. Thank you for honoring the work that went into these manuals.
- Overall: Please respect all copyrighted content received in our training.
- Support: Cassandra and Beth have an open door policy. You may come to either of us at anytime with any questions or concerns and we will be happy to listen and help.
- Tardiness: If you are running late notify Cassandra Justine via text messaging at 708-369-3375 as soon as you are aware of your potential tardiness.
In the event of a missed training class, trainees will be required to:
- Complete all reading assignments and take notes.
- Look over and take notes on any power points presented.
- Complete homework and take-home quiz.
- Write a 2-3 page paper reflecting on your comprehension on your studies.
- Schedule a 30-min. phone call with Cass to share your reflections and to ask any questions on the covered content.
- In the case that a student does not feel confident in their knowledge of said covered content, a one-hour private session per day missed must be scheduled with a qualified teacher at the rate of $100 per session. *Beth will help with private session scheduling.
- No more than 14 hours of the training may be missed. Each missed class/day must be cleared with Cassandra and Beth.
- If a trainee misses more than 14 hours of the weekend intensives due to extenuating circumstances a make-up work strategy will be discussed and agreed upon.
Completion of Coursework:
- Trainees must complete all homework, quizzes, readings, and assignments on time. Please reference your due date checklist to assure that you are timely with coursework.
- Please notify Cassandra and Beth if you will be late in submitting any coursework. Please note that your certification will be delayed until all coursework is completed and submitted. Thank you for respecting our deadlines and due dates.
- Drop-out Policy: If a student drops out of the training before weekend 1 of the weekend intensives, $1000 of your total tuition payment will be forfeited for loss registrations due to student’s enrollment. Once training begins, student is responsible for all tuition payments for loss registrations due to student’s enrollment. In the case of un-enrollment due to extenuating circumstances a written notice must be sent to Cassandra and Beth for review.
- Your Deposit is non-refundable.
- Payments must be completed in full by the end of the teacher training program on May 17, 2020.
Enjoy FREE UNLIMITED YOGA at Heat Yoga Studios for the span of the teacher training program, from October 18, 2019 – May 17, 2020.
Be a Role Model in How you Hold Yourself:
Be respectful to fellow teacher trainees and teachers.
- Take space, make space. – Leave room for others to be heard and avoid over-talking teachers during lecture.
- Be kind and compassionate to yourself and others.
- Constructive Criticism – When offering constructive criticism please use the compliment sandwich strategy: share a compliment, then offer your constructive criticism, then close with an additional compliment. Please use this strategy for fellow trainees and teachers. *Our team will be using this strategy when providing constructive criticism as well.
- Help us create a safe, positive and supportive environment by valuing the diversity of the opinions of people in the group.
Take Care of your Body:
- Honor your body. Do not push yourself past your edge or strain your body, risking injury.
- We do not expect all trainees to be able to do all of the asanas or modifications that we may teach. Please tailor your practice to best serve yourself, taking breaks if needed.
- Your health and wellbeing, physically and mentally, are number one. Please communicate with us whenever you need if your health is at risk before, during, or after a teacher training session.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of yoga will I be able to teach after this training is over?
This training is primarily focused on Hatha and Vinyasa (flow) yoga and colorfully ties in an education of the Wholistic Arts. You will be taught how to teach beginners and a multi-levels class. In addition, you will be exposed to teaching Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga as well as how to work with children and pregnant women.
Will I feel confident to start teaching after this training is over?
That depends on the individual. During the training you will be required to teach 5 practice classes/private sessions, which will help you feel more confident teaching a group. We will also provide sequences that you can use to teach classes. After and during the training, it will be your responsibility to continue practice teaching on friends, family, co-workers, anyone to feel more comfortable and confident. Learning to teach yoga is like learning any new skill – practice makes progress.
What is the process for being hired at Heat Yoga after my training is over?
We do not guarantee any teaching positions after this teacher training. During The Business of Yoga, we will discuss how to get hired at a yoga studio and build your independent business. Please discuss teaching opportunities at Heat Yoga with Beth.
What if I have a special limitation that doesn’t allow me to do all of the yoga poses?
If you are able to sit in a chair or on the ground and pay attention for the duration of classes, it is not necessary that are able to perform all of the yoga postures (asanas) that we will practice and learn. After all, not all of your students will be able to do them, so you can learn modifications or observe.
How proficient do I need to be at yoga in order to take this course?
We recommend at least 6-months of a consistent yoga practice. It is important that trainees have a foundational understanding of yoga. If you do not feel like you have the proper foundation, speak with Cassandra or Beth about your concerns.
What if I don’t want to be a yoga teacher?
No problem! This experience is a chance to learn about all aspects of yoga – alignment, philosophy, the subtle body, meditation, etc. It is an excellent way to dive deeper into your yoga practice and is meant to benefit everyone on their yoga journey.
Is there a minimum age requirement to take the training?
Yes, the requirement is 16 years of age with the written permission of a parent or guardian.
Will I be a yoga alliance certified yoga instructor after I complete the training?
Yoga Alliance is a non-profit that has tried to set a standard for yoga teacher training curriculum. Because there is no national governing body that sets requirements for yoga teacher training education, Yoga Alliance has tried to fill that gap. They have set a number of requirements that a Registered Yoga School (RYS) has to meet in order to be a part of their network. Cass spent hours filling out their application to be a part of their network of RYS because we thought it would give us visibility for our first year and lend credibility to a new program.
In 2022, the standards are changing to include the requirement that 180 hours of the total 200 hours has to be done by one lead trainer. This means that our format of collaboration to obtain a well rounded teacher training from experts in different fields will not meet the Yoga Alliance standards. We feel that this is a key feature that sets this training apart from other offerings. Not only will you learn how to be an effective yoga teacher, but you will also touch on other aspects of holistic arts in order to be a well-rounded practitioner and facilitator.
Yoga Alliance has reviewed our application to be a RYS and has asked for modifications to the syllabus that not only require many more hours of dedication to the process for clarification and re-classifying modules but also some modifications to what material is being presented. What they are asking for currently does not meet with our ideals of a well-rounded training program and definitely will not with the new future requirements. It is because of this that we have decided not to pursue the RYS status with Yoga Alliance any further.
What this means for you: Yoga studios and fitness facilities require that you have completed a 200 hr teacher training program in order to teach classes at their facility. Most studios do not require teachers to be RYS; the important thing you hold is a CYT, which you will have after our program is completed. There is a small chance that some studios or fitness facilities may require you to be RYS. I believe that there are some benefits to having a program like Yoga Alliance to set standards for yoga teacher training programs, but I also believe that there is no perfect system. Some schools that are NOT an RYS can be amazing and some schools that ARE an RYS can leave much to be desired.
We are confident that you will graduate from this program with the tools needed to teach intuitively, build upon your own practice, and have a well-rounded understanding of yogic philosophy and holistic arts. On the rare chance that an employer requires that your teacher training program be from a Yoga Alliance RYS, Cass and I would be happy to be a reference to answer any questions about the education that you received in this program.
Do I need insurance to be a yoga instructor?
Yes, you will need to purchase liability insurance after the training. You can get insurance for around $80-$120/year.
*Please email us with any additional questions.